Feldkirch

In 1218, the new town of Feldkirch was first documented as a city. The last count of the Feldkirch branch of the Montfort family, Rudolf IV († 1390), initially served for many years as a canon and provost of the cathedral in Chur and was only called to rule after a late, childless marriage. In 1375, he sold the town and lordship of Feldkirch to Duke Leopold III of Habsburg, whose governors finally took up residence in Feldkirch in 1379.

Sightseeing

Feldkirch

  • Gothic Parish Church of St. Nicholas
  • Market Quarter with the Commandery of the Knights of St. John
  • Medieval city gates and towers
  • Convent Church of the Dominican Sisters
  • Schattenburg Castle

Bludenz

  • Upper Gate (today a museum)
  • Inn “Zur Krone”
  • Old Town

Information

Feldkirch
The County of Feldkirch was acquired in 1375 by Duke Leopold III together with the territories of the Inner Bregenz Forest, forming the “Land before the Arlberg” ( Land vor dem Arlberg ).

Bludenz
Purchased in 1394 by Duke Leopold III (as was Feldkirch). In the inn “Zur Krone,” Duke Frederick IV was entertained in 1415. In gratitude, he confirmed the town’s privileges.